A Whole Lot of Printing Going On!

August has traditionally been the peak holiday month in the UK. With schools breaking up in late July and not returning until early September, much of the country takes the opportunity to head off in search of a change of scenery and a well-earned break. Unsurprisingly, that annual migration tends to result in a noticeable lull in gaming activity, with fewer opportunities to get regular games to the table.

The quieter gaming calendar does, however, create time for other hobby pursuits. The seemingly endless run of heatwaves we've experienced this summer hasn't exactly been ideal for painting miniatures. While the hot, dry weather has been perfect for undercoating and varnishing, sitting down for extended painting sessions has been far less enjoyable. Instead, I've found myself investing more time in my newest hobby: 3D printing.

It feels as though I've owned my 3D printer for much longer than I actually have, but in reality it's only been a couple of months. My Bambu Lab A1 Mini has certainly lived up to its reputation for being beginner-friendly, but I've quickly discovered that successful 3D printing involves far more than simply pressing 'Print'. Learning how to fine-tune settings, optimise print profiles, and adjust support structures for different models has opened up an entirely new side of the hobby, one that's every bit as rewarding as it is occasionally frustrating.

Thankfully, my early printing efforts have found a very appreciative audience amongst my fellow gamers. After all, it's hard to turn down free terrain pieces, even when they're carrying the odd minor imperfection or tell-tale printing artefact. Those early prints have helped me experiment and learn, while also steadily expanding the scenery collections of certain people!

With fewer gaming sessions competing for my attention, I've spent a good deal of time exploring Bambu MakerWorld, the ever-growing repository of free community-created models. In particular, I've become a fan of the work produced by Soruze, who has designed a vast range of terrain pieces with Necromunda clearly in mind. By selecting the more generic industrial pieces and avoiding the more overtly gothic elements and skull-adorned designs, I've been able to build up an impressive collection of versatile sci-fi scatter terrain suitable for a wide range of settings.


Alongside these industrial pieces, I've also printed several models inspired by a certain galaxy far, far away. While their origins are fairly obvious to genre fans, the designs are generic enough to work comfortably in almost any science fiction or cyberpunk game. The result is a growing collection of terrain that can seamlessly move between systems, whether it's representing the underhive of a hive city, a remote frontier colony, or the neon-lit streets of a dystopian megacity.


It's been a different kind of hobby month than usual, with less dice rolling and more experimentation, but it's been immensely satisfying. Not only have I learned a great deal about 3D printing, but I've also managed to significantly expand my terrain collection, ensuring that when everyone returns from their summer holidays, there will be plenty of new scenery on the table to explore.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beast in the Woods

The Slow Train from the Far East

First game of 'Exploit Zero - Mission Critical'